I am proud and honored to join Dr. Gross in celebrating the launch of Pacific Bay Christian School! Both our name, and the intent behind the name change, encapsulate who we want to be as a community. In moments like these, I am reminded of Helen Keller’s wise words: “The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.” Our name change, while a tiny push in the broad scheme of things, has potential to catalyze a cascade of pushes to make our school community and world more Christ-centered and characterized by justice, mercy, humility, and love. As we usher in this new season, I encourage us all to collectively explore what God will do in us and through us to bring His light and life to this region and our world.
With our new name, we will continue to enact our purpose: to cultivate a community of Christ-centered scholars and disciples, characterized by their growth in faith, knowledge, and virtue. As living curriculum, our Christ-centered educators will continue to prepare our students to live a life integrating sincere faith, deep learning, and authentic service to others. We also affirm our students in their identity as God’s image bearers so that in all things, they may gain passion for a cause and a purpose for life.
As you enjoy a season of rest, we are getting ready for the coming year. Here are some highlights:
- New staff: In the elementary school, we are so excited and pleased to welcome Megan Adams as the new 3rd grade teacher. Megan is an experienced elementary school teacher who comes to us from the Ortega School here in Pacifica.
- Scheduling and educational innovations:
- On the Linda Mar campus we are unveiling a new bell schedule and initiating a 6-week outdoor education opportunity that takes advantage of our unique geographic location. Students will be given the opportunity to try activities such as surfing, mountain biking, hiking, and gardening to name a few of the ideas we’re talking about. Stay tuned for more details about this in July.
- The middle and high school divisions are adding X-block to the schedule at the end of the day. This allows students to initiate clubs and projects and expand learning outside of the classroom. Our faculty will hold office hours during this period.
- College counseling: We are excited to introduce individualized and personalized college counseling for all of our high school students. We will be engaging a highly skilled counseling professional to guide each of our seniors through the college application process. I also will personally write recommendation letters for each student to include with their college applications.
I look forward to welcoming you to a newly energized school at our Back to School Night August 9th. More important dates and the year-at-a-glance calendar are available here.
May the Lord truly bless you and your student with rest and renewal this summer!
Michael Chen, Ed.D.
Head of School